Wednesday, August 1, 2012

FIDM: Television Costume Design Exhibition

For the past two months, I had the privilege to assist on The 6th Annual Outstanding Art of Television Costume Design exhibition curated by the President of The Costume Designers Guild, the lovely Mary Rose. The opening gala was held this past weekend. It was a wonderful event filled with cocktails, industry professionals and lots of appreciation for what costume designers do best, tell stories through their designs.
The displays were breathtaking. Whether you are a fan of a period show like Boardwalk EmpirePan Am or a contemporary show like Pretty Little Liars, one couldn't help but feel an emotional connection to their favorite character's costumes.
Calisi from Game of Thrones and Lady Sybil Crawley from Downton Abbey are some of my favorite leading ladies on a television series. They are both fearless and unbreakable. These are the type of characters I get excited about when I am breaking down a script.
Magic City was another great layout that I loved. I helped build the paper wigs for most of the displays including this one. I learned a great technique from a wonderful costume designer, who gave me a crash course on building wigs with watercolor paper, scissors, and glue dots. It was so much fun, maybe this will be a great DIY blog post soon.
Last but not least, I leave you with these beautiful and whimsical costumes from Once Upon a Time. Working on this exhibition was such an amazing experience. I had the opportunity to work with some of the best costume designers and guild members. If you haven't already done so, make sure to visit this exhibition sometime between now and October 20, 2012.

From Top to Bottom: Boardwalk Empire designed by John A. Dunn, Pan Am designed by Ann Crabtree (pilot designed by Chrisi Karvonides-Dushenko), Game of Thrones designed by Michele Clapton, Downton Abbey designed by Susannah Buxton and Rosalind Ebbutt, Magic City designed by Carol Ramsey and Once Upon a Time designed by Eduardo Castro.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to drop by the other day when I was at FIDM, but the museum was randomly closed. I would love to see a DIY of the wigs!

    http://operationwearmycloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete