Sunday, July 22, 2012

Costume Designer Sonia Grande

In her Academy Award winning role as Maria Elena in Vicky Christina Barcelona.
One of my favorite costumes in Broken Embraces. She plays the beautiful Magdalena.
In Broken Embraces again. Her character plays an aspiring actress.
So seductive in her role as actress Lupe Sino in A Matador's Mistress.
She had so many looks in Broken Embraces. I love her hair in this scene.

Sonia Grande is one of my favorite costume designers. This Spanish designer has frequently collaborated with some of my favorite directors like Pedro Almodovar and Woody Allen. She is also responsible for the many looks of Penelope Cruz in award winning films like Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Broken Embraces. Like many costume designers, she started her career in theater and later transitioned into films. In an interview with Elle magazine, Sonia talks about Penelope, "Her compliant and versatile nature, her mysterious gaze, and her talent provoke an enormous curiosity in me." Sonia Grande is such a brilliant costume designer. In 1999 she won her first Goya Award, which is considered to be the Spanish equivalent to the Academy Awards, for her work in La nina de tus ojos. I can't wait to see her next film and I hope Penelope Cruz stars in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment