Monday, May 21, 2012

Edie Sedgwick: The Girl with the Black Tights

My muse this week is Edie Sedgwick. For those of you who are not familiar with her, she was one of Andy Warhol's most famous Superstars from the Silver Factory days. She was a model, actress, artist and fashion icon. I remember reading Jean Stein's book Edie: American Girl in high school and recall being instantly fascinated with her.
In 1965, Life magazine did a fashion spread with Edie Sedgwick. In the issue she wore black tights with all of her looks and was dubbed "the girl with the black tights". This is definitely my favorite picture of her and Andy Warhol. 
Edie started her career as model for Betsy Johnson. How can I describe her look? Heavy eyeliner, stripes, black tights and long gypsy earrings. Her style remains very relevant today. 
Her style and socialite status drew Andy Warhol to her. He saw an essential flame in her and she instantly became his extraordinary film muse. She truly was a ravishing beautyCiao Manhattan is her best known film, which today is considered a cult classic. I would highly recommend this film if you want to get a glimpse into her life.
For over four decades now, the Edie look has influenced everyone from fashion designers to pop culture enthusiasts. Even musicians like The Cult, The Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan, whom she was romantically linked to, wrote songs about her. My favorite song has to be Femme Fatale by the Velvet Underground. Click here to see this video and some footage on Edie Sedgwick.

My very first Get the Look. Thanks to that photoshop class I took last year, I am now able to create these Get the Look boards. Everything was hand picked by me. I hope to continue featuring these type of posts on my blog in the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment